Celebrating Father’s Day The Japanese Way
Father’s Day is fast approaching here in the UK (June 21st, don’t forget!) Father’s Day is celebrated on the same day in many countries around the world, and Japan is one of them. If getting the perfect Father’s Day gift leaves you stuck for ideas (my own dad wouldn’t know what he wants) then worry no more. The Japanese Shop is here with some unique gift ideas and inspiration for the day! Read on to learn how to celebrate Father’s Day the Japanese way, and discover some Japanese messages to try in your greetings card!
Chichi no hi
Much like in the UK, Japan celebrates Father’s Day on the third Sunday of June – that’s the 21st of June 2020! The day is celebrated in a likewise fashion, spending time with the family and giving gifts out of gratitude and respect. Seafood-based meals such as crab and prawns or unagi are popular around this time. Why not try out some Japanese recipes at BBC Good Foods and impress your loved ones on the day?
父の日 (ちちのひ) chichi no hi = Father’s Day
父 (ちち) chichi = father
お父さん (おとうさん) otōsan = Father (respectfully referring to someone’s father)
Father’s Day Gifts
The most popular gifts given on Fathers’ Day in Japan are alcohol, gourmet food, sporting equipment, clothing goods, and Japanese sweets. Local alcohols like sake and shochu are favourable gifts, as well as Japanese beef (wagyu) such as Kobe beef, Matsuzaka beef and Yonezawa beef which are considered the best kinds in Japan! While Kobe beef is a little hard to come by around here, why not spruce up your Fathers’ Day gifting this year with some of our top picks:
Japanese gifts for Father’s Day
- The ‘Happiness’ Men’s Kimono is an authentic Japanese Kimono! Emblazoned with the kanji for happiness, it makes the perfect gift for your beloved family member!
- Our ‘Long Life’ Japanese Tea Cup set is a trio of genuine Japanese tableware. Each teacup features one of the kanji for happiness, long life, and good fortune.
- Surprise your father or family member with this beautiful Crackleglaze Oblong Plate Set! Complete with matching dipping sauce dishes, chopsticks and chopstick rests!
- If your loved one is already a fan of Japanese sake, why not select the Sasa Japanese Sake Set – a traditional ceramic set with beautiful bamboo grass detailing.
- Showing your gratitude, love and respect for your father could not be easier with this beautiful ‘Long Life’ Kanji Calligraphy Art by artist and wonderful friend of The Japanese Shop, Saren Nagata!
- Share a cup of tea, the Japanese way with our classy Sumi Ceramic Japanese Teapot. The charcoal ceramic teapot is a traditional style with further matching tableware to collect – just search ‘sumi’ in our shop site!
- Our Handmade Japanese Tea Caddy Set is made from Cherry Bark and includes a Tea Caddy and traditional Japanese tea scoop. Perfect for someone who appreciates great quality, authentic Japanese gifts!
- If you’re gifting a culinary genius, why not surprise him with our Yoshihiro Japanese Knife (210mm)! Exclusive to The Japanese Shop, The Yoshihiro knife is designed for professional chefs! It looks exactly the part with a stunning wood grain finish to the blade!
- Let them drink rice wine in style with the traditional Tenmoku Sake Pot. This strong ceramic pot is perfect for celebrating Father’s Day with a drink or adding to an authentic Japanese collection.
- Your loved one will look and feel cool for the summer in our Men’s Cotton Japanese Yukata. Yukata are a summer kimono, made in a lightweight material for comfort during these hot summer days.
- The bright and colourful Samurai Japanese Kokeshi doll is known to be a token of love – perfect to show your dad just how much you love him! Each doll is given a unique name by its craftsmen, making each doll truly unique.
- Your gourmet cuisinier will love the Yoshihiro Japanese Knife (160mm)! The damascus steel blade is designed for very fine cuts, and is decorated with a beautiful fine wood grain finish.
How do I say ‘Happy Father’s Day’ in Japanese?
We also have a fantastic selection of greeting cards here at The Japanese Shop which can be added to your order with a customised message! If your loved one is a huge Japanese enthusiast, why not try out some of the following messages! (I’ve kept the use of kanji to a minimum, I hope it helps)
We have plenty more authentic, traditional, beautiful and unique gifts at The Japanese Shop with free gift wrapping, which is sure to make a special someone’s Father’s Day! Whoever you spend yours with – and however you celebrate it – we wish you and your family a happy and healthy day!