Teriyaki sauce recipe
I think Teriyaki sauce is getting popular in UK. I can find a bottle of Teriyaki sauce in any supermarket nowadays. Of course Teriyaki is very popular sauce in Japan as well, but I actually have never seen the kind of bottle in Japanese supermarket. Of my mother has never bought the kind of bottle ever.
Therefore I have never bought myself nether, because it is so simple ingredients to make them.
You will need just 1 Tbs sugar, 2 Tbs Soy sauce and 2 Tbs Mirin. (you can buy Mirin in normal supermarket, but if you cannot buy it, you can subsitute with 2 Tbs white wine and 1 Tsp sugar)
Here is I made with Teriyaki Sauce. This is a burger. It is not only a burger, it is a Tofu burger!
We call Humberger. ( don’t ask me why) It is very popular food for Japanese Home made meal. I used a Tofu and minced beef, but the most of time is only minced beef and minced pork (which is called aibiki).
This burger is so soft and juicy inside. It is not like thin English BBQ burger.
Tofu Burger (make 4)
- Minced beef 300g
- Tofu 200g ( from previous blog recipe left over)
- 1/4 onion (chopped very small)
- 1tsp oil
- 1 Egg
- Panko (ideal is Japanese one, but you can use fresh bread crumb) 120ml
- Milk 2 Tbs
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tbs oil
- Sugar 1 Tbs
- Soy sauce 2 Tbs
- Mirin 2 Tbs
- onion into the microwavable dish and 1 tsp oil to add then cling film to cover. Microwave for 1 minute and leave to cool down
- In a small cup bread crumb to be soaked with milk
- In a large bowl, beef, tofu, egg, cooled onion, soaked bread crumb to mix very well
- salt & pepper to seasoning
- 1Tbs to a large pan with medium heat. mixed meats to be divided to 4 and shape to a small oval and in the middle of oval shape to be push down (like make little whole ). This makes to cook evenly. When you cook the middle bit will raise up.
- cook well both side then heat down to cook inside properly
- Teriyaki sauce mix well, don’t worry too much about not dissolving sugar. Then turn the heat up the flying pan, add Teriyaki sauce. It makes bubble, and sugar is dissolving with this heat and this makes glossy sauce! then finish!
As you can see I serve burger with grated Mooli (white radish) and thin cut basil. Those is just optional, you don’t have to. Of course you can eat with bans to make burger, but I would like to eat with just plain Japanese rice!
The Japanese Shop is so lovely. I think this plate is feminine, I loved to use this plate. It says Sushi Plate, but you can use anything ,can’t you? To use your imagination, then you can use this plate for not only meals, but also snacks, nibbles for party, etc.
Just quickly about Teriyaki, when I go back to Japan, I always have a Teriyaki burger at McDonald’s. Have you had one if you have been to Japan before? It is so nice glossy sauce and (I think) a little bit taste ginger with lettuce and mayonnaise inside. It is so tasty!
Also Mos burger’s burgers are nice,too. Oh I miss Japan!