Top 10 Valentines Day Gifts from Japan
Capture their heart this Valentines Day with authentic Japanese gifts
If you want to treat your loved one to something a little different this Valentines Day, where better to seek inspiration than the land of the rising sun? From flowing silk kimono to nodding maneki-neko (lucky cats), these fabulous Valentines Day gifts from Japan will impress even the choosiest of recipients.
1. Kimono. Wrap your loved one in luxury with an indulgent silk kimono, perfect for those lazy evenings and weekends snuggling up on the sofa. If silk is beyond your budget, choose a cotton kimono for a more affordable solution of very reasonable quality.
2. Woodblock print. When buying for an art enthusiast, you can’t go too far wrong with an awe-inspiring ukiyo-e (literally ‘picture of the floating world’; a traditional-style Japanese woodblock print). There are some amazing reproductions available, crafted by hand using traditional techniques, and you can also get posters for a more purse-friendly alternative.
2. Japanese vase. A magnificent, traditional-style Japanese porcelain vase is guaranteed to take your partner’s breath away. Fill it with roses or choose your flowers using the principles of hanakotoba (the ‘language of flowers’) for added authenticity.
4. Japanese dolls for couples. If you want to grow old together, let it be known with these adorable hand-painted wooden kokeshi dolls. The wooden sign reads gochoju (long life) in kanji characters.
5. Iron and lacquer jewellery. Handcrafted from nanbu iron and finished with lacquer glaze, this stunning pendant is a truly unique piece. Designs include Autumn snowflake (pictured here) and blue iron, which has a sparkly finish to it.
6. Handmade jewellery box. This gorgeous jewellery box has been crafted by hand from wild cherry bark and lined with soft cream felt for a luxurious look and feel. Place a surprise inside the box or leave the incredible craftsmanship to do all the talking.
7. Saren Nagata painting. Struggling to put your feelings into words? Put them into kanji instead with one of these contemporary prints by celebrated artist Saren Nagata. Designs include ‘Dream Come True’, ‘You Made a Difference’, ‘We Belong Together’ and more.
8. Japanese tea set. If food is the key to a man’s heart, then a good brew is the master key that can win the affections of any man or woman. A traditional-style Japanese tea set is perfect for sipping in style, whether they drink matcha (ground green tea) or Yorkshire Tea.
9. Japanese folding fan. Made in Japan, this authentic folding fan is the perfect Valentines Day gift for those with an interest in geisha culture and/or Japanese fashion. Other designs include everything from golden dragons to prints of Hokusai’s ‘The Great Wave’.
10. Love lucky cat. Express your wishes for a long and happy relationship with this pink ceramic Japanese lucky cat. You could also choose a gold one to bring them prosperity in a new venture, or a green one to wish them luck with their studies. (More meanings here.)
We hope this selection of Valentines Day gifts from Japan has provided you with all the inspiration you need. To order any of these items or browse the full selection online, visit www.thejapaneseshop.co.uk and don’t forget to take advantage of our free gift wrapping service.